Posts for tag: Oral Hygiene Habits
Did you know that 90 percent of oral health problems stem from the build-up of plaque? Dear Doctor reports this alarming number. Don't despair, though. Dr. Toan Bui, your dentist at Transcendental Smiles in Clifton, NJ, can help you keep a healthy smile with good oral hygiene habits.
What's best for your smile
At Transcendental Smiles in Clifton, NJ, your dentist strives to understand your oral health needs. He provides six-month cleanings and check-ups as the foundation for his in-office care plans.
Digital X-rays reveal hidden problems, and each adult patient receives a quick and comfortable oral cancer assessment. With regular office visits, you and Dr. Bui will become well-acquainted, and your treatments can be fine-tuned to your ever-evolving needs.
Developing good at-home habits
Because of the relationship you develop with your dental team, Dr. Bui knows how you should improve your oral hygiene habits. Frankly, taking care of your smile isn't hard; it just takes a bit of consistent effort.
General guidelines include:
- Use a fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth twice a day—once in the morning and just before bedtime. Use a soft brush so you don't abrade your tooth enamel or gums. Ask Dr. Bui if a fluoride rinse or in-office fluoride treatments would help you beat decay.
- Floss once a day. This removes plaque and greatly reduces your chances of gum disease and decay.
- Quit the sugary snacks and carb-laden meals. They're not good for your waistline, and they create plentiful plaque and tartar, along with their damaging bacteria.
- Stop all tobacco. Cancer, decay, bad breath, gum disease, dental stains stem from cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, too.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods high in protein, calcium and fiber.
- Stay hydrated to avoid dry mouth and to rinse off your teeth and gums.
- Be observant. If you feel any oral pain or sensitivity or notice a lump, sore or bleeding, contact Transcendental Smiles right away.
- Wear a protective mouth guard if you play sports.
- Wear a bite guard if you grind your teeth.
- Check the condition of your toothbrush. If it looks worn, it won't do a good job. Toss it.
A bright, healthy smile
For more tips and strategies, call Transcendental Smiles in Clifton, NJ. During this COVID-19 crisis, your dentist and his team remain available for emergencies. Call (973) 458-9899.